What methods of dental extractions are available with Franklin, OH area dentist?
There are times in which patients may need to learn about the methods of dental extractions available at K&E Advanced Dentistry in the Franklin, OH area. Our dentists can educate patients not only on the methods of extraction used, but also the reason behind needing them.
What is a dental extraction?
Our dentists describe a dental extraction as the removal of a tooth. It may be a baby tooth or an adult tooth. Extraction is done in two different methods:
- Simple extraction: A simple extraction is the removal of a tooth that has erupted through the gum line. This means that the dentist will have the tools available to wedge the tooth out of the bone with just local anesthetics and proper sedation to ensure patient comfort. It will not require stitches and is the least invasive option.
- Surgical extraction: There are times when patients may need surgical extraction. This is done during oral surgery in which the dentist cuts into the gum tissue to access a tooth that has not yet erupted into the smile. This is often done with impacted teeth such as the wisdom teeth, and is a common procedure that will require stitches and a few days of recovery time.
Why might I need a dental extraction?
Drs. Mamta Kori and Scott Everhart work with a lot of patients who may need dental extractions. There are several situations which may arise in which a dental extraction may be recommended. Here are a few reasons patients may want to consider the removal of a tooth:
- A baby tooth is not coming out of the mouth and needs to be extracted manually
- An adult tooth or teeth are causing overcrowding in the mouth
- Preparing the smile for orthodontic work, especially in situations where crowding is a concern
- Improvement of bite alignment when too many teeth are in one area
- When a tooth is impacted, such as a wisdom tooth that is bumping against another adult tooth
- When a tooth has an extremely large cavity and cannot be saved with endodontic therapy
- When a tooth is damaged beyond the point of repair and needs to be replaced
- When patients are preparing their smile for the placement of full dentures
There are many reasons a tooth may need to be extracted, but with just two methods available, patients often know exactly what needs to be done to achieve the smile they want. Our team of professionals will assess the oral cavity and determine what needs to be done in terms of extractions to get the results patients expect. We will often take x-rays, so patients can see what will be done during their procedure, and we ensure patients are completely comfortable in the dental chair with proper anesthetics and sedation. We welcome patients in and around the area to ask about our methods of extraction so there are no surprises in the dental office. Many patients like to be educated about what is happening with their smiles, so they can fully understand the process of obtaining their dream smile.
Is a surgical extraction painful?
Our team uses proper sedation and anesthesia to ensure patients are comfortable throughout their procedures, especially when it comes to oral surgery. Prior to the surgical appointment, we advise patients as to what they can expect and help them decide on the proper methods of sedation to make them feel most at ease during their procedure. Drs. Mamta Kori and Scott Everhart are dedicated to making sure each appointment is a positive experience, even when it comes to dental extractions.
Learn about dental extractions with our team of professionals today!
Drs. Mamta Kori and Scott Everhart are excited to offer dental solutions for patients in and around the Franklin, OH area. This includes teaching them about the methods of extractions, so they can improve their oral health and wellness. Our professionals at K&E Advanced Dentistry can be reached for an appointment by calling (855) 912-7677 or schedule a visit with our staff at 3420 Atrium Boulevard, Suite 100. We welcome new patients into the practice.
Back to Extractions Page