The importance of preventive treatment for periodontal disease in Franklin, OH
The number one cause of tooth loss in adults is nearly always preventable. Known as periodontal disease, this condition is an infection of the gum tissue. At the K&E Advanced Dentistry office in Franklin, OH we focus on preventive care, helping our patients avoid the perils of oral disease.
The progression of periodontal disease
To understand periodontal disease prevention, it is important to know how it develops.
- It begins with plaque accumulation along the gum line.
- Plaque that isn’t removed promptly hardens, becoming tartar (calculus), which is nearly impossible to remove with a toothbrush and floss.
- Gum tissue becomes infected and inflamed. It begins separating from the tooth root surface, creating a pocket along the gum line. Increasing gum inflammation causes the pocket to become deeper.
- If not treated promptly, periodontal disease continues spreading, eventually damaging the bone and ligaments that support teeth
Stopping the cycle of destruction
“Ignore it and it will go away,” is a philosophy that rarely works with any problem, and it never works with periodontal disease. Once it begins, the only way to stop it is a proactive treatment plan, including a combination of at-home care and in-office treatment.
- Deep cleaning is the first line of defense. Using specialized tools, we remove plaque, tartar, infection, and debris from pockets around the teeth. Exposed tooth roots are smoothed, making it more difficult for plaque to adhere.
- In severe gum disease, deep cleaning alone is not sufficient. We may use Arestin localized antibiotic treatment to eliminate remaining bacteria and help prevent new infection.
- No matter what dental treatments are used, it is essential that you practice good oral hygiene, using techniques recommended by your dentist.
Call us at (855) 912-7677 to schedule an appointment.
Back to Preventive Dentistry Page