Restore your smile with Invisalign treatment from your Franklin, OH dentist
Doesn’t everyone want to smile with confidence? Having a straight, beautiful smile is a common desire among adults, but many are hesitant about a mouth full of traditional braces. If you are ready for a solution that doesn’t require multiple tightening appointments and copious food restrictions, you are ready for the Invisalign system. The team at K&E Advanced Dentistry in Franklin has years of experience helping patients have a straighter smile with the help of Invisalign trays.
How it works:
Rather than using a wire system like conventional orthodontic braces, Invisalign uses clear aligner trays that are custom fabricated for your mouth to gradually and gently move your teeth into correct alignment. The trays are designed with a computer program that can map out proper positioning. With Invisalign, there are no uncomfortable brackets and no painful tightening appointments. By wearing the aligners for 22 hours each day, patients can discreetly achieve a brand-new smile.
Invisalign can correct a range of orthodontic problems:
- Crowding – crowded teeth can lead to jaw pain, headaches, and earaches.
- Gaps – food can get caught between the space of teeth, leading to an increased risk of gum disease.
- Overbite – when the upper teeth come down in front of the lower teeth, this can cause jaw pain and lead to enamel erosion.
- Underbite – when the lower teeth protrude out in front of over teeth, this can impair speech, erode teeth, and make chewing difficult.
- Crossbite – when the teeth don’t line up correctly in one part of the mouth, this can lead to chipped teeth, gum problems, and jawbone deterioration.
Benefits Of invisible aligners
- Aligners are virtually unnoticeable. The aligner trays are clear, making it difficult for others to notice that you are even undergoing treatment.
- You can still enjoy your favorite foods. Invisalign aligners are removable which means that there is no longer a long list of “off-limit foods.” Patients can simply take the trays out to eat and thoroughly clean their teeth before slipping them back on.
- Improved oral hygiene. Because traditional braces can be difficult to clean around, many patients end up with decay during their treatment period. The removable aligner trays make it easy for patients to properly care for their teeth and keep the mouth healthy.
- Fewer dental visits. Patients are sent home with their trays to switch out every two weeks. Dental appointments are only needed every six weeks for monitoring.
- Shorter treatment time. Treatment varies by individual, but many patients complete the Invisalign system within 12-18 months.
- Increased comfort. The soft, BPA-free plastic is comfortable and does not irritate the inside of the cheeks.
Caring for your Invisalign trays
Things you should do:
- Remove your Invisalign trays every time you eat and place them in your storage case. Brush your teeth or rinse before putting them back on.
- Remove your Invisalign trays every morning and evening to brush and floss as you would normally.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild hand soap to clean your aligners every morning. Rinse off with room temperature water.
- Soak your aligner trays once a week in a special Invisalign cleaner to keep them sanitary.
- Try to limit snacking between meals, especially if you can’t brush your teeth.
- Wear your trays as instructed for optimal results.
Things you should not do:
- Do not use toothpaste or hard bristled toothbrush when cleaning your aligner trays, it will cause them to become scratched, cloudy, and trap odor-causing bacteria.
- Do not use hot water when soaking as it will warp the trays.
- Do not drink anything other than water with your trays in as it can stain them. Sugary beverages can also become trapped between the trays and aligners and lead to decay.
- Do not eat with the aligners in as it can damage them.
- Do not leave your trays out on a counter or table as they can easily become damaged. Always put them in their case when they are out.