The Process of Getting Implant-based Restorations: A Step-by-Step Guide from an Implant Dentist
If you are considering replacing one or several teeth, know you have various options. The K&E Advanced Dentistry dental team offers dental implant restorations — designed using advanced technology to function and look like your natural teeth.
While dental implants have been around for several years, many people are unsure what they are or how they work. Not anymore. We are here to help you understand all about dental implants. Read on to learn more about dentists that do dental implants in Franklin, Ohio.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth that replaces the natural tooth you lost. Dental implants are created from biocompatible materials, such as titanium or zirconia, safe for the human body. Once installed, dental implants are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth in how they look and work.
Unlike removable dentures, dental implants are permanent restorations. Once the titanium post is surgically embedded in the jawbone, it becomes part of your dentition. Above the implant post, we attach an abutment that anchors your crown or any other tooth restoration.
What to expect from the dental implant procedure
The dental implant procedure isn’t an overnight solution — the entire treatment takes several months, from examination, installation, and healing to restoration. However, since dental implants are close to the “real deal,” most patients rarely notice the passage of time.
While the dental implant procedure may vary from patient to patient, the step-by-step process doesn’t deviate significantly from the below.
- Initial examination: We don’t jump straight into installing your dental implant. We examine your overall dental health to determine your candidacy for dental implants. Typically, you should be gum disease-free and have a healthy jawbone. We may recommend tooth extraction or bone grafting before implant placement — it all depends on your oral care needs
- Implant surgery: We use digital X-rays, CT scans, and photos to plan your implant placement for a successful outcome. Once all is set, we administer local anesthesia on your gums, incise your gums, and insert the implant at a precise location in the jawbone. We then install a healing cap and suture the surgical site to kick-start the healing process
- Healing: We allow four to six months for the healing to take place. During the recovery period, the implant fuses with the jawbone through osseointegration
- Restoring your tooth: We expose your implant to install an abutment once healing is completed. After abutment installation, we take your bite impressions to fabricate a crown, bridge, or denture that matches the surrounding teeth. Once we restore your tooth, your smile will function and look like you have never lost any teeth
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants are quite a masterpiece in replacing missing teeth. Whether you have lost one, several, or all teeth, dental implants yield numerous benefits:
- They look and feel like the natural teeth
- They restore your chewing and speaking ability
- They last for life
- They are easy to maintain
- They stimulate your jawbone to avoid deterioration
- They stabilize the adjacent teeth
- They provide improved confidence
Affordable dental implants near me
Whether you are looking for a single implant or multiple implants in Franklin, OH, you can trust the K&E Advanced Dentistry team for exceptional services. We invite you to call (855) 912-7677 to schedule a consultation today!Back to Dental Implants Page