Franklin dentist explains the benefits and process of getting dental implants
Advances in dental technologies, materials, and methods have revolutionized how we can provide dental care. For patients who have suffered from tooth loss, dental implants have completely changed the paradigm for replacing missing teeth. Often called the “gold standard” in tooth replacement, dental implants help prevent a number of oral health, functional, and aesthetic issues resulting from tooth loss. At K&E Advanced Dentistry in Franklin, Ohio, our dentists can place dental implants for patients missing anywhere from one tooth to a full arch of teeth.
Benefits of dental implants
A natural tooth has two main components: the crown, which is the visible portion above the gums, and the root, which embeds the tooth firmly in your jawbone to keep it in place while you eat, speak, and go about your daily life. Traditional tooth replacement options only replace the crown of the tooth, but dental implants are different because they are designed to mimic the tooth’s root. After being surgically placed in your jawbone, the implant fuses with the bone, forming a strong, durable foundation for your new tooth or teeth. Millions of patients worldwide have chosen dental implants in recent years because they:
- Function just like natural teeth, with no dietary restrictions or worry about slipping or falling out
- Prevent the bone loss typically associated with missing teeth because the implant helps transmit sufficient forces to the bone while you are chewing to keep it healthy and strong
- Look and feel just like a natural tooth
- Can be finished with a dental crown for one missing tooth, a bridge for several missing teeth in a row, or even a full arch of teeth with a denture that is secured to as few as four strategically placed implants
- Do not require alteration or placing additional stress on the healthy surrounding teeth like dental bridges or partial dentures do
- Can last a lifetime with good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist for professional cleanings and check-ups
Getting dental implants placed
Dental implant placement typically requires multiple visits over the course of several months. Still, when patients experience the functional and health benefits of the implant, they find it was worth the wait! After consulting with one of our dentists to ensure that dental implants are right for your specific needs, we will schedule your implant placement procedure. This is an outpatient procedure in which we will place the implant into your jawbone. After it has healed and fused with the underlying bone, you will return to the office, and we will place a connecting piece called an abutment on the implant. We will then attach your custom-made dental restoration to the implant for the perfect finish.
Am I a good candidate?
Most patients who have experienced tooth loss are good candidates for dental implants. They do require the underlying bone to have sufficient density and volume, so if you have experienced bone loss, a bone graft procedure may be necessary before an implant can be placed. We also offer alternative tooth replacements such as dental bridges and dentures to meet a wide variety of patient needs.Back to Dental Implants Page