Take Home Whitening Instructions
- Whiten once everyday – or every other day – for about two weeks, or until desired shade is reached.
- Make sure to brush and floss before starting whitening treatment.
- Only whiten the “smile teeth” (teeth that are visible when you smile) and do not use any more than 1/3 to 1/2 of the tube in one session. Only a small amount is needed.
- Make sure to wipe off any excess gel from the gums. If gel does get on the gums and burns use a warm salt water rinse.
- After 30 minutes remove trays and rinse twice with cold water, making certain you DO NOT swallow any gel.
- Do not use tobacco products or eat while whitening.
- White spots that appear on the enamel during the whitening process may blend during continued whitening.
- Teeth are naturally darker along the gum line. These areas may require more time to lighten than the rest of the tooth surface and usually remain slightly darker.
- A small percentage of patients experience sensitivity with whitening, as well as foods and juices high in citric acid.
- Avoid anything that can stain your teeth during the whitening period for about two weeks. This includes but is not limited to: coffee, tea, red wine, dark soda, or anything with food dye, or tobacco products of any kind.
- Coffee, tobacco, and other products can re-stain your teeth over time. Should this occur, the teeth can be re-whitened within a few nights with whitening gel.
- Some old amalgam or “silver” fillings may leave a dark purple color in your custom trays; however, this is normal.
- Crowns, bridges, partial dentures, veneers, and composite fillings will NOT whiten.
- Store whitening gel out of the sun and heat. Refrigeration is recommended. DO NOT freeze.